Application/Audition Questions

Does my instrument require prescreening?

It depends on your instrument. Please visit the prescreening page on our website for specific prescreening requirements.

How do I sign up for an audition?

Once prescreening decisions are released, all areas of study (including those without prescreening) will be able to sign up for a specific audition day through the status page of your application portal. You will be notified via email if you have passed the prescreen.

Can I apply for the spring semester?

Yes. There are two ways to enter in the spring semester.

  • Fill out an application for spring and submit all required materials including recommendation letters, transcripts, videos and the non-refundable application fee by October 1.
  • You may also defer your entrance if you have enrolled for the fall semester.

NOTE: Spring applications are not accepted for Artist Diploma and Doctor of Musical Arts program.

Is there an early decision option?

No; since admittance to 6ͼ is based on auditions, we require all students to audition at the same time of year.

When can I apply to 6ͼ?
  • Our on September 1.
  • The application (including recordings) is due December 1 for the fall entry.
Do I need to know piano?
  • Some knowledge of piano will be very useful if you are admitted to 6ͼ.
  • All non-piano majors take a placement exam during orientationto determine the level of piano proficiency.
Do I need to take AP Music Theory?
  • Placement is determined by the online music theory exam that is due February 1.
  • If you are planning to take music theory before coming to 6ͼ, we recommend taking classes that include both aural skills and written theory. Whether the class is AP, dual creditor through a private instructor, it is always helpful to get a head start.
Will my AP/College credits transfer to 6ͼ?
  • Yes, many AP courses will count toward your degree if you receive 4 or 5 on the AP test, but our Registrar will evaluate which courses specifically when we receive your final transcripts and scores. 6ͼ does not accept AP music theory scores.
  • College credits also need to be evaluated by our Registrar to see if they will transfer.
What are the minimum SAT/ACT scores needed to be admitted to 6ͼ?

6ͼ is a fully test-optional school for SAT and ACT scores. Undergraduate applicants are encouraged to submit standardized test scores with their application if they have taken the exams.

Submission of SAT/ACT scores is highly recommended for homeschooled applicants.

  • ACT: 6ͼ school code is 3250. Call 319.337.1313 to order a score report.
  • SAT: 6ͼ school code is 1124. Call 866.756.7346 to order a score report.

NOTE: SAT/ACT test reports must be uploaded to the application separately, even if they are recorded on your secondary school transcripts.

What is the essay for the application?

The essay must be 250-500 words (double spaced).

What do you like about your current level of performance/composition? What needs improvement? What are your career goals and how will 6ͼ help you attain them?

When are my materials due?

For spring entry, all materials, the application and the application fee are due October 1.

For fall entry, the application, application fee, essay, resume, recordings and IELTS/TOEFL scores (international applicants) are due December 1. Recommendation letters, AP/IB and ACT/SAT scores, and unofficial transcripts are due January 15.

International Students

Do I have to take the TOEFL/IELTS if I have studied in the U.S.?

TOEFL/IELTS waiversare not guaranteed; however, applicants with three or more consecutive years in anEnglish speakinginstitution are eligible to apply. TOEFL/IELTS waivers are not accepted or reviewed for doctor of musical arts applicants.

Waivers are reviewed on a case-by-case basis after a complete application for admission is submitted. It is advised to turn in the waiver request and application prior to the December 1 deadline.Materials must be uploaded to the completed application and received before the December 1 deadline.

Do I have to take the TOEFL/IELTS if English is the native language of my home country?

No; if you are from a country whose native language is English, you are not required to take the TOEFL/IELTS.

Do I have to take the TOEFL/IELTS exam if I have LPR status (green card holder)?

You may need to take the TOEFL/IELTS exam, but that will be determined at your live audition when you interview with our English Language specialist.

What is 6ͼ's TOEFL/IELTS code?

6ͼ's TOEFL/IELTS code is 1124.

6ͼ Academics

Can I major in two instruments?

Yes, but you have to audition for both separately and be accepted to both departments.

Can I minor in another instrument at 6ͼ?

Yes, you can minor in another instrument with the permission of your principal instructor.

Does 6ͼ offer majors in other subjects?

Yes! 6ͼ offers double majors in Composition, Eurhythmicsand Music Theory.

Are there Teaching Assistants at 6ͼ?

There are no Teaching Assistant positions at 6ͼ; all of our courses are taught by 6ͼ faculty.

What work study opportunities are there at 6ͼ?

Students can work for Admissions,Concerts and Events, the Robinson Music Library, Recording Arts and Services, and more. There is a job fair held at 6ͼ during the first week of schoolwhere you can learn more about opportunities. All open work study jobs will be posted on 6ͼ'scareer page.

Does 6ͼ have a dorm?

Yes! 6ͼ's state-of-the-art student housing complex located right next to 6ͼ at 1609 Hazel includes 22 acoustically isolated practice rooms. Learn more about ourstudent housing complex.

6ͼ's upperclassmen and graduate students live in the 6ͼ community. Learn about off-campus housing options.

Does 6ͼ have a dining hall?
  • 6ͼ students usually go to Leutner Commons, a two-minute walk from 6ͼ. 6ͼ students on the meal plan can meet Case and 6ͼ Institute of Art students while eating at one of the on Case’s campus.
Are there performing opportunities other than at 6ͼ?
  • Yes, many of our students are employed with nearby orchestras such as Akron, Erie, Toledoand Youngstown.
  • Many of our 6ͼ students perform locally at weddings, parties and other events in the community.

Partnership with Case Western Reserve University (CWRU)

Do I have to apply to both 6ͼ and CWRU for the Dual Degree program?

No, you will apply to 6ͼ only and we will take care of the rest.Make sure you select the ‘Dual Degree’ option on your application and note your intended second major.

Can I be accepted into CWRU but not 6ͼ if I apply for the Dual Degree Program?

No, to attend only CWRU you would need to apply separately.

If I attend only CWRU, can I study with the 6ͼ faculty?

Through our partnership, the faculty in the Joint Music Program teaches music students at CWRU.

How long will it take to graduate if I enroll in the Dual Degree program?

5 years maximum, but it can be completed in 4 years depending on your choice of major.

Can I minor in something non-musical at CWRU?

Yes, as a 6ͼ student you will have access to take classes from CWRU’s entire .

Can I participate in CWRU clubs and organizations?

Yes! All 6ͼ students may participate in CWRU’s clubs and organizations.

6ͼ by the Numbers

How much is tuition at 6ͼ?

Currently, our tuition is frozen at $40,000.

How many students attend 6ͼ?

6ͼ currently has 350 students. We are slowly decreasing our enrollment to make sure our students and alumni have the greatest opportunity to achieve their dreams and reach their potential.

What is the Undergraduate/Graduate student ratio?

Approximately 55% undergraduate to 45% graduate.

How many students are international?

6ͼ 30% of our students are international, 65% are from other U.S. states, and 5% are from Ohio.